Thursday, February 2, 2012

Curried Chicken Salad


It's pretty unusual for me to be making chicken salad. I've never really liked it or tuna salad, probably because I hate mayonnaise. But, I found a loophole to using that stuff: plain yogurt! Similar texture, different (better) taste and waaay better for you. To make it "curried" you could add any blend of spices you want (or just the generic "curry powder"). We have a Punjab Curry mix that I used instead of making my own. Throw a few other ingredients in there and slap it on some bread. I accompanied with some homemade (failed) sweet potato chips.

Curried Chicken Salad Recipe:
  • 3 chicken breasts, cooked, cooled and diced
  • 1 green apple, diced
  • 1/4 cup cashews, dry roasted and chopped (walnuts or almonds would be good)
  • 1/3 cup dates, chopped (raisins would be good)
  • 1 celery stalk, diced
  • 1 green onion, diced
  • 2 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt

Baked Sweet Potato Chips Recipe:

  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp olive oil

Cook the chicken however you see fit. I brought about a cup of water, dash of salt, black pepper and paprika to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add chicken breast, cover and simmer for 8 minutes. Turn off heat and keep covered in pan for 20 minutes. Place in fridge to cool.

So about these sweet potato chips...I do not recommend making them unless you have a mandolin. I thought my bf's serious knife skills would do the trick, but these puppies have to be factory even. He cut them at least 1/8 inch thick, and some still came out burnt while others were underdone. Oh well. Thankfully I love sweet potatoes so it still tasted good. Toss the slices, spices and oil together and bake in a 400-degree preheated oven for about 15 min. Watch them closely!

Throw the cashews in a pan and heat up for a few minutes, just to release some of the natural oils and flavor. Chop em up.

Add all the ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Serve on toasted bread with fresh lettuce and the chips.

Chicken salad: yay. Sweet potato chips: nay.

No comments:

Post a Comment