Monday, February 20, 2012

Spicy Spicy Udon

One word: yikes.

This udon soup was spicy. I love me some spicy food, and in fact, may be a little addicted to it, but I think next time I'll hold back on this one.

It was absolutely delicious, but could have done without the snot and sweat dripping down my face as I ate. And the post-meal spicy hallucinations.

I'll share the original recipe, but seriously, I would either hold back on the chile paste or the habanaro. Not sure how much flavor it will take away, but ye be warned.

Spicy Spicy Udon Recipe:
  • 1-2 chicken breast
  • 5 cups chicken broth
  • 4 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp red chile paste
  • 1 tbsp white vinegar
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 celery stalk + leaves, chopped
  • 1 bunch enoki or clamshell mushrooms (sold at Asian markets; any mushrooms will do)
  • 1 habanero with seeds, diced
  • 2 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp black pepper

Combine everything in slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours (for stove-top, cook chicken first and then combine in a large stock pot; bring to boil and simmer for an hour). When ready, cook package of udon noodles according to directions. Serve noodles in bowl and top with soup; garnish with fresh basil and green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment