Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Pizza Hummus/Hummus Pizza


I eat a lot of hummus.

Nay, I eat a lot of chickpeas. Sweet, savory, whatever; they are excellent in so many ways.

My go-to hummus is chickpeas, lots of garlic, lemon juice, cayenne pepper and Greek oregano. Today, I was craving something a little different. I was inspired by this recipe, but didn't have nutritional yeast on-hand so I knew it wouldn't taste exactly like pizza. Oh and fyi, nutritional yeast is VERY different from brewer's or active dry yeast so don't consider substituting.

But what I came up with is very tasty and definitely Italian-inspired. You could either call it pizza hummus, or use it as a base to make hummus pizza. Spread it on a rice cake or English muffin and top with cheese, olives, etc.



Yummy!

Pizza Hummus/Hummus Pizza Recipe:
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained mostly (reserve like a tbsp or 2 of the liquid)
  • 1-1/2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 heaping tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 2 tbsp roasted garlic powder (or a couple garlic cloves)
  • 2 tsp lemon juice
  • salt/pepper

Blend it all up and serve in a million-and-one ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment