Friday, February 24, 2012

Perfect Chili

First, apologies there are only two photos and they're terrible. I was literally taking them with one hand while using the other to eat because I was STARVING and this sh** is fantastic.

But I guess that's a good sign.

I must say that chili (specifically my mom's chili) is my favorite comfort food. I like it a little soupy, very spicy and with meat and beans. I've made several batches of chili, but this one is by far my favorite. I think it's because of the addition of ranch-style beans instead of the usual kidney. As always, it could have been spicier, but that's why they invented Louisiana Hot Sauce. It goes on everything, but it's made for chili. Give this a try.

Slow Cooker Chili Recipe:
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 2 celery stalks + leaves, chopped
  • 4 Thai chiles, diced (would have used fresh jalapeno but was out. Really enjoyed the flavor these Thai chiles provided)
  • 1 can ranch-style beans
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 1 1/2 cup chicken broth (more or less depending on how chunky/soupy you like it)
  • 1 fresh tomato, diced
  • 2 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tbsp garlic powder
  • 2 tbsp cumin
  • 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tbsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire powder (optional, but I liked the addition)
  • 1 tbsp oregano
  • salt to taste
  • Louisiana Hot Sauce (optional)
Brown the meat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When no longer pink, drain the juices and add the onion, celery and chiles. Then add 1 tbsp chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and just a dash of salt. Cook together for a couple minutes.

Combine the beans, tomato sauce, fresh tomato and remaining spices in the slow cooker. Add the meat mixture and stir. Add the chicken broth (to your liking) and a couple dashes of salt. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

Serve with warm corn bread or biscuits. Let stomach snuggling commence.

No comments:

Post a Comment