Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I love lettuce wraps. There's something about the succulent chicken, sweet hoisin and crisp lettuce that create an explosion of awesome in the mouth. There are so many different ways to make your filling, but I just used what I had around the kitchen. Although slow cooking is not necessary, I found it to be the best way to get soft, juicy shredded chicken in a rich sauce.

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps Recipe:
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • handful of mushrooms, diced
  • 5 Thai chiles, diced
  • 2 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 can water chestnuts, drained and diced
  • (Sadly, I was out of fresh garlic and onions. I would add 1/2 onion chopped and 3 minced garlic cloves)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2/3 cup hoisin sauce
  • 3 tbsp red chili paste
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • Butter or Boston lettuce would be ideal, but I couldn't find either at my local grocery store so I was stuck with Iceberg. It works though!

Throw everything except the lettuce in the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours. At about 8 hours, shred the chicken with two forks. Mine just fell apart; it was beautiful. Serve over lettuce with rice.

Go make this now. You will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment