Saturday, January 21, 2012

Chocolate Date Bars


I have to be honest with you guys, I really have no idea what this is. I call it chocolate date bars because that's basically what it tastes like, but I was originally going for chocolate oatmeal cookies. When I discovered that I didn't have all the necessary ingredients, I improvised. It turned out to be a pretty tasty baked good that I would recommend for breakfast over dessert. Not too sweet, full of healthy ingredients and good for energy.

Chocolate Date Bars Recipe:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt or applesauce or margarine
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup chopped dried dates

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda salt and cinnamon in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix the yogurt (applesauce/margarine) and sugars. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the dry ingredients little by little. Mix in the oats. The batter will probably be pretty thick at this point, so add the milk as needed. Add in the chopped dates.

Grease a 13x9 inch pan and pour in the batter. Try and spread out as evenly as possible. Again, this batter is pretty thick. Bake for about 10-15 minutes

Let cool and enjoy with a cup of joe or milk!


No comments:

Post a Comment