Wednesday, January 11, 2012

That's Fal-awful Good!

I'll give you a moment to finish cracking up at my hilaaaarious pun title for this post.

Can you guess what's for dinner tonight?

FALAFEL!

But can you guess what I'm going to do different? Make it healthier!

Okay enough guessing. I got this idea from a recipe I stumbled upon on foodgawker.com (a.k.a. where I spend 75% of my day). Basically just instead of frying the falafel, you bake them. Sure the taste and texture won't be exactly the same thing, but I'm not going for same; I'm going for new.

Anyway, it was super easy and delicious. Give it a try!

Baked Falafel Pita Pockets Recipe:
  • 1 15oz can of chickpeas (drained)
  • 1/4 onion, diced
  • 1 handful fresh parsley
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp coriander
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (or white)

  • 1 pkg whole wheat pita pockets
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • 1 bunch of spinach (arugula would be even better!)

  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/2 cucumber, diced
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Dash of salt
  • Dash of pepper
  • Dash of garlic powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Throw the first set of ingredients in a blender and...BLEND! A food processor would be a better choice, but I am lacking in that department. Shoot for a thoroughly incorporated/still chunky consistency. Scoop tablespoon sized balls onto a greased baking sheet and bake for about 20-25 minutes. My batter was a little thin (probably because of the blender) so I used a muffin tin. It worked perfectly.















While they're baking, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic powder. I like my tzatziki sauce a little chunkier, so I just mixed it all together. If you want a thinner, smoother consistency then I recommend throwing in the blender.

When the falafel are finished and slightly cooled, it's time to assemble your pocket. Cut a falafel (falafa? falafe? what is the singular?) in half and place at the bottom of the pocket. Add some tzatziki, then the sliced red onion, spinach leaves and tomato. Add two more falafel on top and finish with tzatziki sauce.












No comments:

Post a Comment