Sunday, January 22, 2012

Vanilla Ice Cream Sans Machine!

Sometimes you just gotta satisfy a craving for ice cream on an 80-degree Sunday in Texas....

...in January.

Don't get me wrong; the weather is beautiful. But I just moved into an apartment with a fireplace and, well, I was looking forward to using it before summer hits in about 2 months. Oh well, I decided to use my fire-making time otherwise: by making ice cream!

I don't have an ice cream machine and I didn't want to do the whole 10th-grade-chemistry-class-ice-cream-in-a-bag project. This way is a little more time consuming, but still super easy.

Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe:
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp sugar

Optional:

  • 1 peppermint (smashed)
  • chocolate syrup

Combine all the ingredients except for the peppermint in a shallow plastic container and place in the freezer. Freeze for a couple hours then take out the container and stir the mixture up. It will probably be very frozen on the sides and still wet in the middle. Freeze for another hour, stir and put in a blender. If you want to make a flavored ice cream (in addition to vanilla) now is the time to add the extras. A few suggestions are mint, peanut butter, chocolate chips, fruit, etc. I was craving mint chocolate ice cream so I added a smashed peppermint. Blend the mixture until creamy and smooth. Place back in the freezer for an hour. At this point, the mixture might still be a little icy (think creamy sno cone.) If that's your thing, then dig in! But if you're going for creamy ice cream, blend again and return to freezer for final hour. It might seem like a lot of work, but trust me, the end result is worth it. Top with chocolate syrup for a tasty homemade treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment