Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Coconut Curry Baked Chicken Tenders

I must say that Indian food has definitely become one of my favorite cuisines. My boyfriend or I make a big batch of rice and slow-cooked curry at least once a week. You really can't find the depth of flavor, variety of spices or unique tastes in any other kind of food. And the funny part is, I remember balling my eyes out about 12 years ago whenever my parents mentioned the words Indian food. Listen to parents; your taste palate really DOES mature.

My boyfriend received a wonderful spice rack for Christmas, full of exotic salts, rubs and powders that I have been mulling over for weeks. One whiff of the Coconut Curry Powder and I was sold. Instead of making our usual curry dinner, I decided to shake (and bake) things up a bit. This recipe requires a few steps, but the outcome is delicious and nutritious. And by using chicken tenders, dare I even say, kid-friendly?

Coconut Curry Baked Chicken Tenders Recipe:
  • 1 1/2 lb chicken tenders

  • 2 cups plain non-fat yogurt
  • 1/4 cup minced cilantro
  • 4 cardamom pods, crushed (use mortar and pestle)
  • Dash of salt
  • Dash of pepper
  • Dash of garlic powder
  • 1/2 lime juice

  • 1 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
  • *3-4 tbsp. coconut curry powder
*I understand that most people won't just have coconut curry powder lying around. In fact, we usually make our own spice blends. To keep with the same flavors, you could mix coriander, cumin, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and dried coconut flakes.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Set aside a 9 x 11 baking pan. Wash and pat dry the chicken and set aside. Mix the yogurt with the first set of ingredients in a bowl (keep about 1/2 cup separate to have as a serving sauce). Mix the Panko and coconut curry seasoning in a shallow dish. Using tongs, dredge each chicken tender in the yogurt mixture first, then the Panko and place in the baking dish. For two people, I made about 8 tenders.


Bake in oven, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Flip and bake for another 8-10 minutes. Serve with brown rice and spinach and top with remaining yogurt sauce (oh and always have some srirachi sauce on hand).



2 comments: