Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb Bread Pudding

Yet another strawberry-rhubarb creation this week...



I don't know what's with me and making things that I don't actually like that much. I've never been a big fan of bread pudding, and I don't love rhubarb. I guess I just like experimenting. This is not your traditional bread pudding, but the taste and texture is too close to call it anything else. Basically, it's a way easier bread pudding with fewer ingredients. This recipe only makes about 2-3 servings though.



Strawberry-Rhubarb Bread Pudding Recipe: 

  • 1-2 cups chopped frozen rhubarb
  • 1/2 cup fresh sliced strawberries
  • 2 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 lemon or lime, juiced
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp cold water
  • 6 slices bread (I used two whole BIG hamburger buns that were in the freezer so I figure that would equal about 6 regular slices of bread)
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup milk
Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and citrus juice in a small saucepan and heat on medium low. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. Whisk the cornstarch in the tbsp of water and add to the fruit. Stir constantly until clear, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, put in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and keep in fridge until cool. 

Tear the bread into chunks and lay on a baking sheet. Put in oven to broil for just a couple minutes to get toasty. Combine in a bowl with cinnamon and milk and let sit for about 10 minutes. Add the fruit mixture and combine. Pour into a baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. 


1 comment: