Wednesday, May 30, 2012

No-Bake Pumpkin Pudding Pie



You know the problem with seasonal dishes?

We think we can ONLY eat them during that particular time of year.

I don't know about you, but I crave roast turkey, stuffing and pumpkin pie ALL the time. But I guess if I indulged in that craving all the time, Thanksgiving would no longer be so awesome.

Well anyway, this is a pumpkin pie recipe that's perfect for summer. It's cool, refreshing and requires no oven time (well excluding the crust, but you could totally just serve this in a bowl).

Obviously the pudding to crust ratio is overwhelmingly uneven, but I swear there is a crust under there!



No-Bake Pumpkin Pudding Pie Recipe:
  • 1 can solid packed pumpkin
  • 1 package vanilla pudding mix
  • 2/3 cup milk
  • 1 tsp cinnamon + more for topping
  • 1/2 tsp all-spice
  • 1 pre-made crust (I made a weird one that I'll share, but you can use store-bought)
Mix pumpkin with milk in a medium bowl. Add in the pudding mix and spices and whisk together until smooth (no grainy pudding lumps, people!). Pour into prepared crust in a pie dish and refrigerate at least for 4 hours to set (overnight is best). Enjoy with whipped cream or by itself!

Crust:
  • 2 packages instant cinnamon oatmeal
  • 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tbsp margarine
  • 1 tbsp applesauce
  • 1 tsp honey
So I wasn't originally going to use a crust, which is why I kind of panicked and threw together something from on-hand ingredients. But it actually turned out quite delicious! Because I used instant oatmeal that was already chock full of cinnamon and sugar, I only added a little bit of honey. If you use plain oats, you'll need to add more sugar. 
Basically just mix it all together, pat evenly into a 9-inch pie pan (greased) and bake for about 10 minutes in 425-degree oven or until browned. 



No comments:

Post a Comment