Thursday, March 22, 2012

Grilled Steak and Pasta Salad


The sun is shining, the weather's warmer and spring has sprung.

I don't know about you, but that just makes me want to sip a cold beer and grill somethin'.

I live in an apartment and don't have a grill, which makes this a little more difficult, but luckily the complex has a relatively nice brick charcoal grill. Yesterday was my first attempt at starting a charcoal fire myself and after about 30 minutes, it worked.

Threw on my favorite steak (sirloin) and paired with a cold pasta salad that I made earlier that day. Fast and no post-dinner dishes. Win.

Grilled Steak and Pasta Salad Recipe:
  • MEAT (I used 2 sirloin steaks, but grilling possibilities are endless)
  • salt, pepper, olive oil
  • 1 pkg Farfalle pasta
  • 1 shallot, minced
  • 1/3 cup green peas
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 2 cups spinach, chopped
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 1/3 cup assorted olives, sliced
  • 2 pepperoncinis, sliced (reserve juice for pasta)
  • fresh basil
  • salt, garlic powder, black and cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes
  • 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • feta cheese

First, prepare your grill. If you have a gas grill, even better. If you're doing charcoal, place the coals in a pyramid stack, douse with lighter fluid, wait a minute to soak and then light. Ideally you want to light from the bottom to let the coals burn more evenly. I didn't really know what I was doing so I just added more lighter fluid here and there until the coals started turning grey. When they're smoldering, throw on your steaks. I just like salt and pepper on mine; my boyfriend adds some olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side (for rare).

Now for the even easier dish: pasta salad. Cook the pasta according to directions. Drain, pour into large bowl with a touch of olive oil to prevent sticking and let sit.

Saute the shallots in a little olive oil with some salt, pepper and red pepper flakes until caramelized. Remove from heat and toss into pasta. Add more salt and black pepper to taste, along with cayenne and garlic powder. Place in fridge for about 20 minutes to let cool. Then add the remaining ingredients and put back into fridge until ready to serve. BAM. Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment